What is Counselling?

It’s normal to feel strong emotions and feelings. But if your feelings are becoming difficult to manage and are having an impact on your relationships, school or work, it’s time to consider getting help.

Luckily, there are trained professionals out there who can help you better understand why you feel the way you do and help you to develop strategies to deal with it. Below are some clips which outline what kinds of professionals are available to help and exactly how they can assist you. If you need to speak to someone urgently, call Kids Helpline free (1800 55 1800), 24 hours a day, 7 days a week or Lifeline on 13 11 14.

Online counselling is also a great option, if the idea of talking to someone face to face feels like a bit too much to deal with. Headspace runs an amazing free, confidential service – check it out –

School Counsellors & Youth Workers

School Counsellors and youth workers are accessible through schools. If you aren’t sure who this is at your school, talk to a trusted teacher, Year Level Co-ordinator or even the staff in the main office. They will be able to tell you how you can contact the school counsellor or youth worker. Youth workers are also usually available at your local youth centre. Contact your local council to find the nearest location.

Psychologists & Psychiatrists

To see a psychologist or a psychiatrist, you will need a referral from a GP (general practitioner or general doctor). This isn’t hard to get. Read for more info on making an appointment by yourself, advice on selecting a doctor and your payment options.

Click here for a list of Support Services.